Monday, April 1, 2013

Describe the role of diet in preventing underweight, overweight, and obesity.


The role of diet in preventing underweight, overweight, and obesity is vast. Everything you do whether it’s the food you ingest, beverages you drink, or what you smoke has an effect on your body. A lot of times the effect for underweight people may be that they do not eat purposely, they have an incredibly high metabolism, they’re sick, or they could be inhaling or ingesting drugs that suppress one’s appetite (I say drugs that are legal and illegal). For overweight people and even obese people, they often overeat, have a slow metabolism, or consume drugs (…again legal or illegal) that increase one’s appetite.
            
To conclude this blog and part of the final, I have gone up and down in weight a couple times. Right now I’m up. I know the role that diet plays and the effects it can have on me personally. If you don’t know by now, I have (not am) bipolar disorder. It’s important that I take my medication, get enough sleep, and eat healthy. The role diet plays in my life is not just in the prevention of underweight, overweight, or obesity, but it’s for my mental state. I have to do my best, and I’m trying, to manage my weight or else depression might set in or worsen. To me, being overweight or obese, not underweight is depressing. Trying on clothes and they don’t fit. That’s my reality now. Two years ago I was wearing a medium size shirt and now I’m in an x-large to 2X. A lot of it had to do with my ex-boyfriend but ultimately I knew/know better and I let my body go. I have been underweight before and I felt beautiful because I could fit into anything and pull it off. I’m 5 foot 4 inches tall and I was about 106 pounds. I loved it BUT I looked sick to everyone else.

Erin Christine Dorn

No comments:

Post a Comment