Monday, April 1, 2013

Discuss the connection between nutrition and disease. Be sure to include information on chronic diseases, as well as malnutrition and other leading causes of death.


There are risk factors that attribute to chronic disease because of the nutrition in one’s diet. Nutrition is directly linked to chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, atherosclerosis, and hypertension. Diets that are found to be high in added sugars, salty and pickled foods, and saturated or trans fats put you at risk. Diets that are also low in fruits, vegetables, and other foods rich in fiber and phytochemicals or diets low in micronutrients are at risk of chronic disease.
There are other risk factors such as age, genetics, tobacco use, stress, sedentary lifestyle, and environmental contaminants (Sizer & Whitney, 2011). The interrelationship among all of these risk factors indicates that nutrition underlies chronic disease, malnutrition, and death. So what are these chronic diseases that we can get from our diet or lack of?
A few of the common chronic diseases are cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis which can lead to heart attack or stroke. An embolism is usually the cause but for it to occur there must be arterial damage, plaques in the arteries, and/or inflammation (Sizer & Whitney, 2011). An embolus, or blood clot travels and when it get stuck in an artery in the heart or brain the result is heart attack or stroke. Another CVD is hypertension which can make atherosclerosis worse and increase your risk for heart attack or stroke.
Next, is the connection between nutrition and cancer. “For the great majority of cancers, lifestyle factors and environmental exposures become the major risk factors (Sizer & Whitney, 2011).” If you are a smoker and I’m not just addressing cigarettes, you are increasing you risk of cancer. Just as well, if you are overweight, eat red meats and fiber-rich foods, and/or consume quite a bit of alcohol you are putting yourself at risk of the disease, cancer.
Lastly is how nutrition has a direct connection to diabetes. Diabetes is a risk factor for CVD and thus can lead to death. A person with diabetes is more likely to speed up the progression of atherosclerosis which leads to the risk of heart attack and stroke.
To conclude this blogs part of the final I wanted to share the effects of nutrition and disease as I’ve seen it recently in my life. It is no longer in my face where I have to worry about my love (my now ex-boyfriend), because the nutrition in his diet is killing him. He is a diabetic, and when I was with him he would have me rub his legs and feet because he couldn’t feel the blood circulating. “In diabetes, atherosclerosis progresses rapidly, blocking blood vessels, and diminishing circulation (Sizer & Whitney, 2011).” Now, according to Sizer & Whitney (2011), when heart disease occurs in conjunction with diabetes, the condition is likely to be severe. In fact, any loss of control of blood glucose, even a transitory one, can be costly in terms of the condition of the arteries. From there, and as I am no doctor I fear for this man as he is at risk of CVD which may result in a heart attack or stroke.

Erin Christine Dorn

2 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everyone,

    Am Mr Lourens, Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr.Manbela has done for me and my family. i have be suffering from Herpes for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below drmanbelaherbalhome@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp number +14154831433and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like cancer, Hiv/Aids, Hepatitis,Diabetes,Urinary treat infection,impotence,Infertility,Diarrhea,Asthma, bed wetting e.t.c. you will also share your testimony.

    Thanks DR.MANBELA

    ReplyDelete